If I transfer title to real property to my living trust, does the bank have the right to accelerate my mortgage?

Under federal law, financial institutions are forbidden from calling or accelerating your loan upon transferring property to your living trust provided you continue to reside in the home. However, there is an exception.

According to the 1982 Garn-St. Germain Act, the law does not allow for such protection for residential real estate that has over five dwelling units. In addition, the law does not apply to investment property in which you do not reside.

Other Frequently Asked Questions:


We proudly serve clients throughout California. We are pleased to offer free consultations in all the areas of law that we practice. Set up a time to meet with us to learn how we might be able to help you take care of your estate planning, business and asset protection needs.