Is it necessary to amend my will if I wish to bequeath certain assets to specific family members or friends?

No. The grantor can compile a list of tangible personal assets that the grantor wishes to give, and incorporate them by reference into the grantor’s will. For instance, if the grantor wishes to leave a family heirloom to a son or daughter, there is no need to amend the will. The grantor can draft a separate memorandum referenced in the will that mentions a bequest of the heirloom or any other tangible personal property to the grantor’s child.

The memorandum is required to be dated and signed. If the grantor subsequently decides to make a change, it is possible to do so by destroying or amending the memorandum without signing an entirely new will.

Other Frequently Asked Questions:


We proudly serve clients throughout California. We are pleased to offer free consultations in all the areas of law that we practice. Set up a time to meet with us to learn how we might be able to help you take care of your estate planning, business and asset protection needs.